Greater Nashville Chinese Association, in partnership with API Middle Tennessee and Nashville Chinese School, is excited to announce our first ever Asian-themed book drive for public schools. By raising funds from our community in the coming months, we will put hundreds of books into Metro Nashville Public Schools and other school libraries in Middle Tennessee.
The goal of this project is to help our community’s students learn more about the history, customs, achievements, and cultural contributions of Asian Americans. Education and cultural exchange are at the core of GNCA’s mission, and the recent increase in anti-Asian hate and violence has highlighted the need for action. We have been inspired by similar programs throughout the US, such as One Book One World.
Our initial goal is to raise $11,000, which will allow us to purchase and donate approximately 600 age-appropriate books to public school libraries in Davidson and Williamson counties. We see this as only the first step in a program that will eventually expand throughout Middle Tennessee.
- The initial fundraising period begins on March 9, 2022.
- Purchase multiple copies of over 20 age-appropriate books.
- Book topics will include the Asian American experience, Asian cultural traditions, and authors of Asian descent.
- Deliver books to participating schools in May, which is also Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
- Full details, including fundraising site links and full lists of books and schools, will be available on the GNCA website at www.gncamembers.com/books.
The future of our nation is in the hands of our children. Your generous donation will help ensure that they grow up with respect and appreciation for all who have contributed to our shared history.