Due to the overwhelming success of our 2022 book drive, we have decided to bring it back for another year! Once again, we will be working in partnership with API Middle Tennessee and Nashville Chinese School. By raising funds from our community in the coming months, we will put hundreds of books into K-12 school libraries throughout the Nashville area.
The goal of this project is to help Middle Tennessee students learn more about the history, customs, achievements, and cultural contributions of Asian Americans. Education and cultural exchange are at the core of GNCA’s mission, and the recent increase in anti-Asian hate and violence has only highlighted the need for action.
Last year we were able to raise over $18,000, which allowed us to put more than 750 books into dozens of area schools. This year we have increased our goal to $25,000. We will also expand into Rutherford County as well as to previously unreached schools in both Davidson County and Williamson County.
We are also excited to announce two new events as part of the fundraiser:
Asian-Themed Book Essay Contest
We invite all Middle Tennessee K-12 students to read an Asian-themed book and then write an essay or review sharing what they learned, how the book changes their perspectives, and how it inspires them. See our Essay Contest page for more information.
We will interview several authors of the books in our contest to hear more about their motivations and inspirations as well as their own personal stories. These interviews are being organized and conducted by high school student members of GNCA’s Youth Volunteer Association (YVA).
- The fundraiser runs from March to May 2023.
- Book topics will include the Asian American experience, Asian cultural traditions, and authors of Asian descent.
- Schools will choose from our hand-selected book list or other age-appropriate books.
- Books will be delivered to participating schools in May, which is also Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
- Full details, including fundraising site links and full lists of books and schools, will be available on the GNCA website.
How You Can Help
- Donate money: Donate via our GoFundMe page.
- In-kind donations: Donate any new or excellent-condition book in the suggested book list to Nashville Chinese School:
- Book Dropoff (Saturdays, 9:00am – 12:15pm): Nashville Chinese School, Natchez Trace Church of Christ, 1700 Natchez Trace, Nashville TN 37212
- Mail: Nashville Chinese School, P.O. Box 50442, Nashville, TN 37205
- Get the word out: Help spread awareness about the drive among your social networks.
VIEW THE FULL BOOK LIST
The future of our nation is in the hands of our children. Your generous donation will help ensure that they grow up with respect and appreciation for all who have contributed to our shared history.